The story of Four Winds Farms Angus begins with the story of the farm name. Judy’s parents, John and Fran Tucker, purchased a farm in 1945. A new cement block building, built for a milking parlor, became home for the family. Fran born and raised a city girl, spent the summer living in this building with four teenagers and a 5-year-old (Judy). Fran claimed the wind blew all summer long from all four directions at the same time. She christened the farm and everything attached to it Four Winds.
In 1948, the Tuckers became interested in Angus cattle. They purchased some foundation females which became the beginning of Judy’s 4-H projects. Judy had built a small herd of females by the time Tim and Judy were married in 1961. In February of 1964 after Tim served his country in the U.S. Army, they purchased half interest in the Tucker herd. The partnership ended a few years later with a dispersal. At the dispersion Tim and Judy bought the older foundation cows and at the same time, acquired the last of J. Hall Dillon’s cow herd at Long Pine, Neb. These two groups of females were the basis of Four Winds Angus. Early success of Four Winds Angus began with the sire Evaboxa Jr. and Dillon’s Dora line of females. They maintained a herd of 75-100 registered Angus cows.
Tim was president of the Nebraska Angus Association from 1973-1974 after years of serving on the board as a director. One of the main accomplishments during this time was getting the first full delegation to the National Angus convention in Chicago. All which was instrumental in securing a seat on the American Angus Association board for the state of Nebraska, a seat that is still held by a Nebraskan today.
To promote Angus cattle Tim and Judy joined a number of Angus Associations within the state to exhibit and sell breeding stock. They participated in the Nebraska Angus Futurity, which was held in Columbus, K-N Sale in Franklin, Open to the World Sale in Atkinson, Angus sales in Valentine and Ainsworth, and the Southeast Nebraska Angus Association sale in Lincoln which they served as Secretary – Treasurer and Sale Managers for many years. In 1967 they were one of the founders of the Royal Hoofers Bull test and Sale, along with Hollman Angus Farm, Bohmont Angus Farm, and Blue Creek Angus Farm.
In later years they started having their own bull sale at Burwell also selling private treaty club calves, bulls and replacement females.
Tim had a construction business for 35 years in which he did land conservation work. He retired the business in the fall of 2011. The construction business and the Angus cattle were a good blend which helped support Judy’s herd of Percheron Draft Horses.
Tim and Judy have always felt strongly about promoting Angus cattle and the youth of tomorrow. They have sponsored many events, one being the National Junior Angus Show when it was in Nebraska. They used their Percheron’s to show-case the Angus queens and dignitaries.
In 2001 it became time to make a decision about the cattle. They did not know if it was old age or the wisdom that comes with age and experience. The cattle were put on shares with Todd and Kristen Eggerling of Bluestem Valley Farms and in 2007 the Eggerlings purchased the herd.
Judy is still active in showing her Percheron draft horses and Tim goes along as the pooper scooper.
Tim and Judy have always been good stewards of the land and hope Angus Breeders of tomorrow continue in their footsteps so Angus cattle will always have good grazing and remain the choice of cattlemen. ❖