Cattlemen’s Ball to feature first Cancer Hero’s Wall |

Cattlemen’s Ball to feature first Cancer Hero’s Wall

VALPARAISO, Neb. – The 2002 Cattlemen’s Ball will feature its first Cancer Hero’s Wall, with photos, poems and memorabilia of those who have fought cancer. The ball will be held June 1 at the Benes Cattle Company near Valparaiso, Neb.

The Hero’s Wall will be located in the Serenity Park area near the entrance of the ball and is meant to be a place of reflection. Everyone is invited to bring photos or memorabilia to add to the wall. Permanent markers will be available for attendees to add messages.

Already set to be on the wall is a poem entitled “The Roses” by Marilyn Odvody of Morse Bluff, Neb., written as a tribute to a loved one who lost their battle with cancer. Also included is a photo of Cheryl and Steve Fisher of Amarillo, Tex. Steve, a former Omahan and graduate of Burke High School, is a cancer survivor who was treated at the UNMC Eppley Cancer Center. The Fishers plan to attend the 2002 ball.

The Hero’s Wall is set to become a Cattlemen’s Ball tradition, returning each year. To have your loved one included, contact Ken Sabata at (402) 784-3154 or bring your memorabilia to the ball.

Additional event activities include an art show, style show, horse-drawn wagon rides, live and silent auctions, and a celebrity team penning contest. Team penning is a timed sport in which three people on horseback herd three designated cattle in a pen. The Honky Tonk Tailgate Party Tour, a package concert tour presenting three country music artists, will perform at the ball’s evening concert. Staff members from the UNMC Eppley Cancer Center, with the help of nurses from NHS and the UNMC College of Nursing, will also provide free screening for prostate and skin cancer throughout the day.

The hosts of the 2002 Cattlemen’s Ball include Ermin and Delores Benes, Dan and Kathy Benes and their families. Chairpersons for the 2002 event are Dr. Elliott and Lynne Rustad of Lincoln.

The Cattlemen’s Ball is held each year to showcase rural Nebraska, promote beef in a healthy diet and to raise money for health care research. The UNMC Eppley Cancer Center in Omaha is the primary recipient of this fund raising effort with 90 percent of the proceeds going toward cancer research programs at Eppley. The remaining 10 percent of the funds raised stay in the local area and are used for health care activities. The UNMC Eppley Cancer Center received $133,000 for cancer research from the 2001 Cattlemen’s Ball held at the Thacher Cattle Company, southeast of Valentine, Neb.

Invitations are not sent as the event is completely open to the public. At the 2002 Cattlemen’s Ball, Top Hand ticket holders ($60) may attend Saturday afternoon and evening activities beginning at 1 p.m.

Trailboss ticket holders ($250) receive a champagne reception, commemorative gift, Trailboss brunch and preferred seating for the evening dinner and concert. Tickets are limited. For tickets call 1-800-666-8071 or send a check to P.O. Box 181, Valparaiso, NE 68065.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


Wyoming chalks a win for federal lands grazing


On Tuesday, May 17, a Montana Circuit Court agreed that approval of continued grazing in the Upper Green River area did not violate the Endangered Species Act and ruled that the Fish and Wildlife Service…

See more