Cattlemen’s Day scheduled Nov. 17 in North Platte
NORTH PLATTE, Neb. – A West Central Cattlemen’s Day and Trade Show on Nov. 17, 2008, at the Lincoln County Fairgrounds will help update both feeders and cow/calf producers. The program will begin at 9 a.m. with registration at 8:30, said Randy Saner, Lincoln/McPherson county educator focused on livestock systems. It will conclude with a 3:30 drawing for door prizes.
“We’re particularly hoping to see cow/calf producers and feedlot operators from the 20 counties of UNL’s West Central District, which includes Buffalo and Franklin counties to the east, Custer county to the north, and Keith and Red Willow counties to the west,” Saner said. “Livestock producers and industry representatives from outside that area are also welcome to come.”
At an advisory meeting earlier in the year, producers indicated that they needed some adult education to help deal with rising production costs and unstable markets, Saner said.
The day begins with a keynote address from Cargill Meat Solutions with new information about the beef industry in general and Cargill’s needs as a packing house in particular. Four group rotations will follow. Topics and presenters include:
– Market outlook from a packer’s perspective – Cargill Meat Solutions
– Supplementation strategies – Aaron Stalker, UNL beef range systems specialist, North Platte
– How cow size affects cost of production and overall profitability – Randy Saner, UNL extension educator focused on livestock systems, North Platte
– Heifer development: before and after birth – Rick Funston, UNL beef cattle specialist
– Systems approach to animal health – Richard Randle, UNL extension veterinarian, Lincoln
– Grain adaptation strategies – Judson Vasconcelos, UNL feedlot nutrition management specialist, Scottsbluff
– What makes a profitable feeder calf – Al Svajgr, President/CEO/Owner, Darr Feedlot, Cozad
– Dealing with calving difficulty, Richard Randle
– Recent advances in feedlot research, Galen Erickson, UNL beef feedlot nutrition specialist, Lincoln
– Winter grazing strategies – Jerry Volesky, UNL range and forage specialist, North Platte
– Decision support tools for the beef producer – Matt Stockton, UNL ag economist, North Platte
– Calculating breakevens and their use in decision making – Galen Erickson
Breaks between rotations will provide time for participants to visit industry booths and to talk to the specialists. For more information or to register for the meeting, go to: http://westcentral.unl.edu/cattlemensday.pdf or call Randy at (308) 532-2683.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Senate Agriculture Committee Chairman Pat Roberts, R-Kan., presided Wednesday over a hearing on agricultural research and food security that is likely to be his last before his retirement.