CRP emergency haying approved nationwide |

CRP emergency haying approved nationwide

United States Department of Agriculture

In continuing response to this year’s widespread drought, Agriculture Secretary Ann M. Veneman on July 2 authorized emergency haying of Conservation Reserve Program acreage throughout the country.

Secretary Veneman announced the last week of June that 28 South Dakota and 33 Montana counties were approved for emergency haying. The 137 additional approved counties include:

– Colorado ” Adams, Arapahoe, Baca, Bent, Boulder, Cheyenne, Crowley, Dolores, El Paso, Elbert, Huerfano, Kiowa, Kit Carson, La Plata, Las Animas, Lincoln, Logan, Moffat, Montezuma, Morgan, Otero, Phillips, Prowers, Pueblo, Rio Blanco, Routt, San Miguel, Washington, Weld and Yuma.

– Kansas ” Barber, Barton, Cheyenne, Clark, Comanche, Decatur, Edwards, Ellsworth, Finney, Ford, Gove, Graham, Grant, Gray, Greeley, Hamilton, Haskell, Hodgeman, Jewell, Kearney, Kiowa, Lane, Lincoln, Logan, Meade, Morton, Ness, Norton, Osborne, Pawnee, Phillips, Rawlins, Rooks, Rush, Russell, Scott, Seward, Sheridan, Sherman, Smith, Stafford, Stanton, Stevens, Thomas, Trego, Wallace and Wichita.

– Nebraska ” Arthur, Banner, Box Butte, Buffalo, Chase, Cheyenne, Deuel, Dundy, Franklin, Frontier, Garden, Greeley, Hayes, Hitchcock, Keith, Kimball, Lincoln, Logan, McPherson, Morrill, Perkins, Red Willow, Scotts Bluff, Sheridan, Sioux and Webster.

– New Mexico ” Colfax, Curry, De Baca, Harding, Quay, Roosevelt, Santa Fe, Lea, Torrance and Union.

– Wyoming ” Campbell, Goshen, Laramie and Platte.

USDA will notify local Farm Service Agency (FSA) offices when additional counties are approved for haying. Livestock operations in approved counties should submit applications to their local FSA offices.

Haying is authorized until Aug. 31, 2002, or until disaster conditions no longer exist, whichever comes first. CRP participants who do not own or lease livestock may rent or lease the haying privilege to an eligible livestock producer located in an approved county.

Counties throughout the country continue to also be approved for emergency CRP grazing. Producers should check with their local FSA office to determine which counties are approved for grazing. Generally, to be approved for emergency haying and grazing, a county must have suffered at least a 40 percent loss of normal moisture and forage for the preceding four-month qualifying period. At least 50 percent of the CRP contract acreage must be left unhayed for wildlife and hay harvested from CRP acreage may not be sold.

CRP offers annual rental payments and cost-share assistance to establish long-term, resource-conserving cover on eligible land. USDA will monitor producers to ensure the land is safely hayed and grazed without damaging conservation covers.

USDA also offers other programs to assist drought stricken producers, including emergency farm loans, federal crop insurance, the emergency conservation program and the noninsured crop disaster assistance program. Since the beginning of the year, all or portions of 16 states have been declared drought disasters areas, making farmers in those areas eligible for emergency farm loans.

For more information and eligibility requirements on USDA disaster assistance, producers should contact their local FSA office or visit FSA’s website at:


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


Husker project examines milk as possible cancer fighter


LINCOLN, Neb. — In health care, perhaps no word sends a more chilling message than “cancer.” Brain tumors, for example, prove especially resistant to current treatments. Only 5% of patients with that condition survive more…

See more