Galeton School Celebrating a Century of Service | TheFencePost.com

Galeton School Celebrating a Century of Service

RE-2 School District

It was 100 years ago in 1910 that the families of the Galeton, Colo., community saw the need to provide an education to the youth of the surrounding area and it was with a pen stroke the application was approved by the state of Colorado for the establishment of Galeton School.

By 1911, a beautiful red brick two-story building was erected on a plot of land donated by George Mussburg. The board of district 103 went about hiring young teachers who were put up by local families for a small bit of extra spending money coming into the household. I bet the air was filled with excitement as children filed into the school. I am sure those children in first through eighth grade did not see the significance of this landmark event; however the ripple it sent forward through history is still thriving today.

In the late 1920s a boom in the growth of the town and the need for a grade expansion to include ninth through 12th grades forced the people of Galeton to face the need for expansion of their little country school. With the original building busting at the seams, some classes were held in a local grain elevator while a new high school building was being constructed on land donated by N.V. Canney. In 1928, the Galeton High School Devils moved into the new facility.

Families went about the business of everyday life and stories abound about the day-to-day happenings of school, as well as the long trips to and from school. In 1950 a barn that was used for stabling horses rode to school was replaced with a beautiful new bus barn and shop. A shiny new fleet of busses started delivering students to Galeton School.

For nearly 30 years Galeton School served the community well. The students found success in the classroom, extra curricular activities and athletics. It is suspected, although not confirmed, that around 1953 at least a few community members found fault with a Devil as a mascot and the Galeton Devils became the Galeton Indians. Around this same time, 1954, the campus grew by two additional buildings, a teacherage to house the principal and teachers, as well as a brand new gymnasium and dirt football field.

As Indians the school continued to find success in the classroom as well as on the courts and fields; however two highlights of these successes was the state championships won by the basketball teams of 1961 and 1963. The 1960s marked some of the greatest changes for Galeton School. The financial woes of a small district began to take their toll and forced the consolidation of Galeton School with surrounding schools from Cornish, Barnesville and Wyatt and eventual the Eaton School District, seven miles west of Galeton in 1963. Soon the junior and senior high students from Galeton joined forces with the Eaton Reds and the younger siblings were the only students remaining at the former campus. The smaller student body with the focus just on the elementary level allowed the school to make some drastic changes to its campus. The two-story brick building that was nearly 50 years old by now was demolished and the newer 1928 building that was designed for high school classes underwent major renovations to add seven modern classrooms, a kitchen and a lunchroom to serve a hot lunch to the students of Galeton Elementary.

Recommended Stories For You

In 1978 with the Eaton School District building a new middle school, the fifth- and sixth-grade students joined their older siblings on the shuttles heading west. The kindergarten through fourth-grade Galeton students were joined by three classes of fourth-grade classes from town. They all may have come from very different backgrounds, but once at Galeton the “town kids” mixed with the “country kids” to be Galeton kids.

In 2003 the district finished construction on a new elementary in Eaton and Galeton returned to its kindergarten through fifth-grade configuration with its sixth through 12th graders shuttling into town.

Over the last 100 years the ripple that began in 1910 by area folks who had come to America and migrated west to make a better life for their families has spread far and wide. Graduates and students educated in this little, rural school have been contributing citizens to the county, state, nation and world.

Please join Galeton School in celebrating its 100th anniversary on Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010, from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. We will host an open house and BBQ luncheon.

It was 100 years ago in 1910 that the families of the Galeton, Colo., community saw the need to provide an education to the youth of the surrounding area and it was with a pen stroke the application was approved by the state of Colorado for the establishment of Galeton School.

By 1911, a beautiful red brick two-story building was erected on a plot of land donated by George Mussburg. The board of district 103 went about hiring young teachers who were put up by local families for a small bit of extra spending money coming into the household. I bet the air was filled with excitement as children filed into the school. I am sure those children in first through eighth grade did not see the significance of this landmark event; however the ripple it sent forward through history is still thriving today.

In the late 1920s a boom in the growth of the town and the need for a grade expansion to include ninth through 12th grades forced the people of Galeton to face the need for expansion of their little country school. With the original building busting at the seams, some classes were held in a local grain elevator while a new high school building was being constructed on land donated by N.V. Canney. In 1928, the Galeton High School Devils moved into the new facility.

Families went about the business of everyday life and stories abound about the day-to-day happenings of school, as well as the long trips to and from school. In 1950 a barn that was used for stabling horses rode to school was replaced with a beautiful new bus barn and shop. A shiny new fleet of busses started delivering students to Galeton School.

For nearly 30 years Galeton School served the community well. The students found success in the classroom, extra curricular activities and athletics. It is suspected, although not confirmed, that around 1953 at least a few community members found fault with a Devil as a mascot and the Galeton Devils became the Galeton Indians. Around this same time, 1954, the campus grew by two additional buildings, a teacherage to house the principal and teachers, as well as a brand new gymnasium and dirt football field.

As Indians the school continued to find success in the classroom as well as on the courts and fields; however two highlights of these successes was the state championships won by the basketball teams of 1961 and 1963. The 1960s marked some of the greatest changes for Galeton School. The financial woes of a small district began to take their toll and forced the consolidation of Galeton School with surrounding schools from Cornish, Barnesville and Wyatt and eventual the Eaton School District, seven miles west of Galeton in 1963. Soon the junior and senior high students from Galeton joined forces with the Eaton Reds and the younger siblings were the only students remaining at the former campus. The smaller student body with the focus just on the elementary level allowed the school to make some drastic changes to its campus. The two-story brick building that was nearly 50 years old by now was demolished and the newer 1928 building that was designed for high school classes underwent major renovations to add seven modern classrooms, a kitchen and a lunchroom to serve a hot lunch to the students of Galeton Elementary.

In 1978 with the Eaton School District building a new middle school, the fifth- and sixth-grade students joined their older siblings on the shuttles heading west. The kindergarten through fourth-grade Galeton students were joined by three classes of fourth-grade classes from town. They all may have come from very different backgrounds, but once at Galeton the “town kids” mixed with the “country kids” to be Galeton kids.

In 2003 the district finished construction on a new elementary in Eaton and Galeton returned to its kindergarten through fifth-grade configuration with its sixth through 12th graders shuttling into town.

Over the last 100 years the ripple that began in 1910 by area folks who had come to America and migrated west to make a better life for their families has spread far and wide. Graduates and students educated in this little, rural school have been contributing citizens to the county, state, nation and world.

Please join Galeton School in celebrating its 100th anniversary on Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010, from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. We will host an open house and BBQ luncheon.