Larimer County CSU Extension Master Gardener
Tips on saving money as a gardener:
• Bring a list when you go plant shopping to stay on track.
• Do not buy more plants if you have not planted the ones you already have.
• Avoid plant plunking! Do not buy any plant if you do not have a specific spot in the garden for it.
• Patronize your local plant sales such as those hosted by garden clubs and non-profit organizations.
• Divide, conquer and make new friends – share newly divided perennials with friends and family.
• Buy starter-size perennial plants and use in containers for the summer. Come fall, they can go into your garden with a healthy root system.
• Successively sow vegetables such as beans and lettuce so that you have produce throughout the season.
• Start biennials such as hollyhocks and foxgloves from seeds now. You will have healthy plants for transplanting later this summer; they will bloom next year.
• Take softwood cuttings from herbaceous shrubs such as hydrangeas. Plant in a moist starter substance. You will have a small, healthy plant later this summer.
• Shop at mid-summer sales.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User