Make your home more appealing
Ft. Collins, Colo.
What is “home staging” and how does it help sell my house?
Recently, certified home stager Kari Deis was called upon to help a home that had been on the market for nine months. After she worked her magic, the home was under contract in a week and a half.
Staging a home isn’t just for models homes anymore – it’s for anyone and everyone looking to sell a home. So what exactly is home staging?
“Home Staging is taking the space and making it more appealing,” Deis said.
Professional home stagers are practiced in the art of preparing a home for resale. They work with the “flow” of a home, eliminate clutter, edit and arrange furniture, and even assist in enhancing curb-appeal. With the aid of a professional home stager, your house can make a notable first impression on potential homebuyers.
To make your home more appealing to potential buyers, Deis has some pointers.
• Curb Appeal – Curb appeal is the potential buyers’ first impression of your home so this is where you really want your home to shine. Make sure your yard is groomed, windows are cleaned and any other problems are taken care of.
“I always suggest my clients drive by their house at night,” Deis said. “I suggest leaving the lights on at all times to make the home more alluring.”
• Cut the Clutter – Clutter really is everywhere. While you may think it makes your home more charming, the opposite is actually true.
“One person’s collectibles are another person’s clutter,” Deis said.
Deis says to remove breakable items from shelves, clean off the front of the refrigerator and clean off counter tops.
• Just clean it – Deis says you always want your best foot forward so that means having a clean house especially in the kitchen and bathrooms.
“People looking at homes to purchase pay special attention to the kitchen and bathrooms,” she said. “If those areas are dirty, it can turn a potential homebuyer off quickly.”
• Moving Day – You may not be moving out just yet, but moving furniture around can improve your home’s flow. Got a spare bedroom? Move out the bedroom furniture and move your home office furniture to show the room’s versatility.
Moving furniture and other items around ensures a fresh look and because you won’t have to buy anything new, it keeps your cost low.
“I’ve spent six hours moving items around a home,” Deis laughed.
• Know when to get professional help – If your home has been on the market a while, it might be time to invest in a professional stager. If you a working with a Realtor, they can suggest a stager. Dies recommends letting the Real Estate Agent and Stager look at the home without homeowners to avoid any complications.
Dies also says to beware of upfront fees and always ask for references.
“Most reputable stagers will charge by the hour or a consultation fee,” she said. “A typical consultation cost is around $150.”
Finally, make sure to ask if the person is a Certified Stager. To achieve this designation, as Deis did, you have to attend 40 hours of training.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User