Plains Edition Obituaries
, 76, of Arthur, Neb., died Sept. 2, 2006.
She was born Oct. 24, 1929, at Norman, Neb., in the family farm house, to Eddie Lewis Larsen and Nell Opal (Newbanks) Larsen, the second of eight children. In 1936 she moved from the farm at Norman, with her family to Wages, Colo., where she attended grade school. She went to high school in Wray, Colo., through her junior year.
In May 1946 the family moved to a ranch south of Arthur. She then graduated from Arthur County High School in 1947. During that summer she attended Kearney State College where she received her teaching certificate. She taught one term at Ford school in Yuma County, Colo., and then taught various country schools in Arthur County.
On Feb. 24, 1948, she married Willard Franklin Dancer at the Methodist Church in Wages, Colo. To this union three daughters and one son were born. The Dancers lived in the Sandhills on ranches in Cherry, Morrill and Grant counties, returning to the home ranch in Arthur County in 1985. Willard preceded her in death in February 1991. After his death she continued the ranching operation at the Dancer ranch northwest of Arthur.
In earlier years she was a member of the Cowbell Association and in later years she was an avid Pack Backer. She was also on the Arthur County ASCS board and election board for many years. In 1997 she left the ranch and moved into Arthur where she resided until her death.
Survivors include children, LaNell Dancer of Scottsbluff, ReNee (Russ) Peterson of Ogallala, Willard Dancer II of Arcadia, and Mary (Aldon) Sample of Arthur; four granddaughters, Desiree (Adam) Polly of Aurora, Colo., Sara (Jason) Meier of Alliance, Tiffany Dancer of Aurora, and Sabrina (Jessie) Hefner of Arthur; five grandsons, Zeb Peterson of Ogallala, Zeke Peterson of Ogallala, Zane Peterson of Blue Springs, Mo., Travis Dancer of Arthur, and Seth Sample of Arthur; four sisters, Gwendolyn Larsen of Haxtun, Colo., Joan Hines of Arthur, Mary Mueller of Arthur and Emma Robertson of Arthur; two brothers, Martin (Lydia) Larsen of Arthur, and Spencer (Marlene) Larsen of Arthur; two sisters-in-law: Joan Larsen of Arthur and Colleen (Myles) Stevens of Kearney and nine great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, and youngest brother, Bruce Larsen.
, 83, of Culbertson, Neb., died Sept. 21, 2006, at Community Hospital in McCook. He was born on November 23, 1922, in Trenton, to McFarland and Grace (Miller) Campbell. He was a graduate of McCook High School. He served in the Philippines in the U.S. Navy during World War II, and was honorably discharged in 1947.
On April 12, 1948, he married Gloria Hoff. They had one daughter, Laura.
He was a lifetime farmer and rancher near Culbertson. He raised Quarter horses and was a member of the American Quarter Horse Association.
He loved the sport of team roping, and over the past forty years, he won many trophies, buckles, and saddles. He was very generous in giving his time and expertise to help young horsemen and ropers. He was a loving father, good neighbor, and generous friend.
Survivors include his daughter, Laura Campbell of Peterborough, N.H.; and a host of friends.
He was preceded in death by his parents, McFarland and Grace Campbell; one brother, John Campbell; and one sister, Evalouise Campbell.
, 78, of Omaha died Aug. 17, 2006.
He was born August 10, 1928, in Cheyenne, Wyo., to John Joseph “Joe” and Mildred Watson Swanson.
The family moved to North Platte in 1938. After graduating from NPHS, he attended the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and received his bachelor’s degree in business administration in 1951.
He was a director for First National Bank in North Platte and an advisory board director for FirsTier and US Bank in Omaha. He and his brother, Duane, operated a cow-calf operation in the Sandhills until the death of their long-time friend and ranch manager, George Younkin Jr.
He was a former president and chief executive officer of Nebraska Machinery Company. The Caterpillar dealership, was founded in North Platte in 1938 by his father, Joe Swanson, and W.A. Norris. The company’s first facility was on West Front Street. A second facility opened in Scottsbluff in 1941. The company then moved to Omaha in 1983 after the acquisition of Missouri Valley Equipment.
He joined the company in 1953 and served in a number of positions over the years, including assistant sales manager, general sales manager, president and chief executive officer. He retired as chairman emeritus in 2006.
He enjoyed traveling, photography and his grandchildren. His love and dedication to the family business found him in the office every day possible until his health no longer allowed him to do so.
Survivors include five children, Shelley Moore and Jody Swanson, both of Denver, John and Richard Swanson, and Katie McClellan, all of Omaha; nine grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and a brother, Duane, of Omaha.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Barbara, who died June 10, 2003.
, 88, longtime resident of Lemoyne, died Sept. 30, 2006, at Indian Hills Manor.
She was born May 5, 1918, at Old LeMoyne, Neb., the daughter of Herman Henry and Minnie Marie (Bauer) Soehl. She attended school at LeMoyne until 1926 when she moved with her parents to the south table where she attended school for two years. In 1928 the family moved to the south side of the North Platte River and she attended school in District 32 and District 51. She graduated from tenth grade at LeMoyne High School and from twelfth grade at Ogallala High School in 1937.
On April 6, 1938, Cora married Karl R. Baumann at the Congregational Church in Franklin, Neb. They returned to make their home on the Soehl ranch where her parents resided. Because of the building of Kingsley Dam, the Soehl buildings had to be moved. Then in September, 1940, Karl and Cora moved two miles north to the Alma Soehl house that had been moved back from Old LeMoyne. They resided there for fifteen years when they rented a home in Ogallala, living there two years.
During the summer months the family returned to live at the ranch. In September 1957, the Baumanns moved into the house that had been in the Soehl Family for many years and continue to make it their home.
The T-brand on the left side was recorded for the first time under the name of Herman Soehl, Jr. in 1928. It was then transferred to Karl R. and Cora M. Baumann in 1959.
She was very much interested in LeMoyne’s history, where she had grassroots – being born and raised in that locality. She took many pictures of LeMoyne as it was before being covered up by Lake McConaughy and is well known for her knowledge of the area.
She was a charter member of Bethel #21 Order of Jobs Daughters since 1931. She was Honored Queen in 1936. She was a member of the Order of Eastern Star #142 since 1937 and also was a Past Matron. She was also a member of the Shrine Club. She was the oldest living member and held the longest continuing membership of the Lemoyne Presbyterian Church.
Survivors include her husband, Karl Baumann of Lemoyne; daughter, Carolyn (Larry) Marie Clark of Aurora, Colo.; and son, Karl Loy (Jean) Baumann of Lemoyne; six grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents and an infant brother.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User