The Fence Post obituary: Lawrence Joseph Dice
April 27, 2018
Lawrence Joseph Dice, 88
June 13, 1929 – March 30, 2018
Joe Dice, age 88 died on March 30, 2018, at home following a long illness. Born in Visalia, Calif., on June 13, 1929, Joe was the only son of Fredrick Travis Dice and Helen Flavell Saffeels. Joe graduated from high school in Greenfield, Mo., and was a paratrooper in the U.S. Army having served as a Corporal during the Korean Conflict.
Joe will be remembered as a rancher/farmer, family historian and storyteller who loved a good horse and a special dog named "Lady." He was involved with custom farming, cattle buying, ranch management, sale barn management, dice trucking and his little cow herd. Throughout his life Joe was farming and ranching in the Colorado River Valley between Eagle, and Silt, Colo. He was a member of the Colorado Farm Bureau where he served as a state director, and the Colorado Cattlemen's Association as well as the local Holy Cross Cattlemen's Association.
Joe was dedicated to his family and friends. He was a friendly jokester, and loved to tell stories. He was a hardworking man throughout his life, and always helped his friends and neighbors. Joe was passionate about caring for his stock and his land throughout his life and even talked about his baby calves in his last days.
Joe was preceded in death by his parents, Sister Jane Price; his first wife, Gertrude (Gardner) Dice; and second wife, Jean (Horn) Dice. He is survived by his special companion, Hilda Sykes; and a sister, Faye Knowlton. Joe leaves a strong legacy in his children, Debera (Jim) Stewart and Fred Dice; step-children, Brett Smith and Pam (Alvin) Langstaff.
He leaves nine grandchildren and six great-grand children with numerous nieces and nephews in his blended family.
A "Celebration" of Life" was held at Coal Ridge High School on April 22, 2018. In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to Hospice of the Valley, 1901 Grand Avenue, Suite 206, Glenwood Springs, CO 8l601 or Rifle Senior Center, 50 Ute Avenue, Rifle, CO 81650. Services were given in trust to Brown's Cremation and Funeral Services.
Trending In: Obituaries
- The Fence Post obituary: Darrell Anderson
- The Fence Post obituary: Catherine Maureen Broad
- The Fence Post obituary: Ralph Wayne McElrath
- Rocky Mountain Obituaries 9-22: Charles Richard Winter Sr.; Judy Larson; Don E. Miller; Jason Roy Nichols; Neil W. "Tuck" Jackson
- The Fence Post obituary: Roderick Clark MacLennan
- USDA provides Hurricane Michael victims needed relief and recovery aid
- Most weather signs are pointing to an El Nino weather pattern this fall and winter
- Farm bill panel: Senate bill or bust
- A miracle in the works: JR Vezain on the road to recovery after severe back injury
- Water czar unveils Wyoming plan for a West-wide reckoning