Plains Edition Obituaries 1-7-12
Colonel Melvin Frank Huss, 82, of Lexington, Neb., passed away December 31, 2011, at Lexington, Neb.
He was born on June 2, 1929, at Herndon, Kan., to Frank and Pauline (Kogl) Huss. He attended school at Herndon, Kan. Following his schooling, he worked at the Omaha Stockyards. Melvin attended Auctioneer School in Mason City, Iowa. He auctioned at the McCook Livestock Market and did farm sales in the 1940s.
On August 22, 1950, he was united in marriage to Delores E. Lorens at St. John’s Catholic Church at Beardsley, Kan Three children were blessed to this union; Richard, Ronald and Janelle.
Shortly after marriage he took over the management of the Oberlin, Kansas Livestock Market. The couple moved to Lexington, Neb., in 1956, when Melvin went to work for the Lexington Livestock Market. Later, the business was purchased. He contributed the success of the Market to his loyal and dedicated wife (Delores), partners, fulltime employees, part-time sale day employees, and to all his loyal customers and buyers (in and out of state). Melvin’s success in the industry was due to his hard work, dedication to the livestock industry and honesty to the customer. He always treated the customers with high regard when doing business. He received many awards over his lifetime in the livestock industry arena.
Melvin was a member of St. Ann’s Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus.
He is survived by two sons, Richard (Mary) Huss of Omaha, Neb., and Ronald (Shirley) Huss of Kearney, Neb.; one daughter, Janelle (Ken, Jr.) VerMaas of Lexington, Neb.; one brother Frank (Jean) Huss of Herndon, Kan.; two sisters, Marolyn Hoffman of Gretna and Carolyn (Don) Warner of Omaha, Neb.; eight grandchildren, Dr. Kenneth (Chellona) VerMaas III of Nebraska City, Neb., Stacy and Megan Huss of Tampa, Fla., Jennifer (Matthew) Anderson of Papillion, Neb., Kimberly (Rusty) Sutton of Lexington, Neb., Melissa Koon of Augusta, Ga., Joseph Huss and Kevin (Jamie Jones) Huss of Omaha, Neb.; and ten great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his wife Delores, his parents; two sisters, Helen and Ann, and one great-granddaughter, Silvi.
Memorial services were held January 5, 2012 at St. Ann’s Catholic Church in Lexington, Neb.
Burial will be in the St. Ann’s Catholic Cemetery at Lexington, Neb.
Memorial contributions may be made to St. Ann’s Catholic Church or the Donor’s Choice.
Expressions of sympathy and condolence may be sent to the family at ReynoldsLoveFuneralHome.com.
Lester Stanley Jesse, 91, passed away December 26, 2011 at his home.
He was born October 15, 1920 in rural Sheridan County, Neb., at the family home to Frank and Bess (Jones) Jesse. He attended schools in Sheridan County, Curtis, and graduated from Alliance High School, then attended business school in Grand Island, Neb., for two years. Lester served in Italy for the U.S. Army during WWII. Upon returning home, he ranched in Sheridan County until retiring in Alliance, Neb., in 1994.
On April 20, 1941, Lester married Virginia B. Woodworth and this past spring, they celebrated 70 years together.
Lester was a member and served on numerous boards of the following organizations: Sheridan County School Board, a 40 year member of the Alliance Rural Fire Protection District Board, Nebraska Junior Cattlemen, Eagles, Elks, American Legion, Panhandle Rural Electric Board, NRA, Veteran’s Cemetery Board, Methodist Church, 4-H, National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and the Nebraska Cattlemen Association.
He was an avid reader and bookkeeper, living a fulfilled life; loving God, his wife, children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.
He is survived by his wife, of the home; five children Lester “Ronnie” of Bruning, Neb., Roy (wife Phyllis) of Hemingford, Neb., Leah (husband Dennis) Lambert of Chesterfield, Mo., Sharyl Francke of Valentine, Neb., and Rick (wife Desirae) of Temecula, Calif.; 14 grandchildren and 34 great-grandchildren; sisters Eleanor Dill, Lois Ravert; brother, Bob and wife Shirley Jesse all of Alliance, Neb.; as well as numerous nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, an infant sister, and daughter-in-law Dorothy.
Memorial services were held December 30, 2011 at the United Methodist Church in Alliance, Neb. Inurnment will be the church columbarium.
Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society.
Manley Leon Baney, 94, of Benkelman, Neb., passed away December 30, 2011, at the Dundy County Hospital in Benkelman, Neb.
He was born on October 18, 1917, in Benkelman, Neb., to Reverda E. and Lois (Hardwick) Baney. He attended rural school through the eighth grade. On March 13, 1942, he entered the US Army and served during World War II as a high speed radio operator and message decoder. He was honorably discharged on January 14, 1946.
On February 26, 1950, he was united in marriage to Barbara Anne Barnell. They made their home in Benkelman, Neb., where two sons, John and Mark, where born to this union. Manley farmed northwest of Benkelman, Neb., until his retirement at the age of 80.
He attended United Methodist Church where he served as usher. He was a member of the Benkelman American Legion. His free time was spent occasionally fishing, traveling throughout the United States, and spending time with family and friends.
He is survived by his wife of almost 62 years, Barbara Baney of Benkelman, Neb.; two sons, John Baney and wife, Dianne, of Albuquerque, N.M., and Mark Baney of Benkelman, Neb.; two grandchildren, Adam Baney and wife, Elena, and their son, Arthur and Amanda and husband, Arnold Risvik, and their son, Dexter all of Albuquerque, N.M.; one sister, Verle Behlke of Benkelman, Neb.; and two brothers, Gerald Baney of Benkelman, Neb., and Marlin Baney of Evans, Colo.; numerous nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Reverda and Lois Baney; one sister, Arlene Spears; and three brothers, Lawrence, Waldo and Johnnie Baney.
Memorial contributions may be made in his name to the United Methodist Church.
Memorial services were held January 5, 2012 at Forch Funeral Chapel in Benkelman, Neb.
Burial followed with a military committal at the Benkelman Cemetery.