Bacon Cheddar Potato Soup
Marlene Maurer – Lakewood, Colo.
- 2 2/3 c. water
- 1/4 c. butter or margarine
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. milk
- 2 c. mashed potatoes (dry)
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 pound medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 carton chicken broth
- 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
In saucepan, heat water, butter and salt to boil.
Remove from heat, stir in milk and potatoes until moistened.
Let stand 20 seconds or until liquid is absorbed.
Whip with fork and set aside.
In stockpot, cook bacon until crisp.
Transfer bacon to paper towels, leaving drippings in stockpot.
Add onion and pepper.
Cook until onions are translucent and lightly browned.
Add potatoes and broth.
Whisk until ingredients are well-combined.
Cook until heated through.
Serve, topping with bacon, cheese and green onion.