Update on Tripp County, S.D., herd found with TB
SD TB Update – Tripp Co. herd
– All adult cattle in the index herd that reacted to the initial TB test have been removed with federal indemnity. These animals were euthanized and rendered.
– To date, 40 animals have been confirmed infected with TB, including the index cow identified at slaughter.
– We are working with the U.S. Department of Agriculture on a plan for disposition of the remaining animals in the herd. (sell to slaughter vs. test and remove)
– Herd testing is complete for eight of 10 adjacent herds, with no findings of TB.
– Six states have received notification of animals that left the index herd sometime in the past five years. A majority of these trace-outs were feeder cattle or cull cows in slaughter channels, but there are some replacement heifers as well. Traces within the state are also being investigated.
– GFP continues to lead surveillance efforts in wildlife.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., has reintroduced the Defense of Environment and Property Act and all of us in the agriculture industry need to get behind this legislation. We also need to urge our representatives in…