Western Slope Obituaries 6-27-11 | TheFencePost.com

Western Slope Obituaries 6-27-11

Laroy F. Crow, 85, of Durango, Colo., passed away June 20, 2011.

Known as “Roy,” he was born to Lee and Annie Crow on August 16, 1925, in Sulfur, Okla. He grew up in Cortez, Colo., and graduated from Cortez High School.

He served as a signalman in the Navy during World War II, crossing the Pacific Ocean five times.

On September 1, 1948, he married Julia L. “Judy” Lancaster in Pleasant View, Colo.

He attended Fort Lewis College at the Old Hesperus Campus and the University of Kansas, graduating with a degree in business and mechanical engineering.

Roy worked for Union Carbide Mining and Metals Division in Rifle, Colo., Slick Rock, Colo., and Craig, Colo., Casper, Wyo., Tuxedo Park, N.Y., and King City, Calif.

Recommended Stories For You

He began his real estate career in Durango, Colo., in 1971 and was involved in that field until his retirement in 2004. He was active in and served as president of the La Plata County Board of Realtors, now the Durango Area Association of Realtors.

He was president of the PTA and worked with Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts and the Chamber of Commerce in King City. Mr. Crow was active in the Durango Chamber of Commerce.

He received a Distinguished Service Award for his involvement on the Fort Lewis College Foundation Board for 12 years. Roy was active in Rotary. He was a past president of the Rotary Club of Durango, Colo., and the gazebo in Rotary Park was built during his tenure. He also served as district governor in 1984.

The Crows were passionate about archaeology, conserving and donating two ancestral Puebloan sites on their farm. Roy was responsible for the preservation of 160 acres dedicated to the New Mexico Archaeological Conservancy. He and his wife donated all of the artifacts from the Puzzle House ancestral Puebloan site to FLC.

He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Julia “Judy” L. Crow, of Durango, Colo.; children Mary Dunlap of Durango, Colo., and Glenn LaRoy Crow of Arvada, Colo.; brother Lawrence Crow of Spokane, Wash.; eight grandchildren; and 21 great-grandchildren.

Memorial services were held June 24, 2011, at First United Methodist Church of Durango, Colo.

Burial was at Sylvan Cemetery in Pleasant View.

Memorial contributions may be sent to the Southwest Safehouse, P.O. Box 2107, Durango, Colo., 81302; or Hospice of Mercy, 1 Mercado St., Suite 270, Durango, Colo., 81301.

Laroy F. Crow, 85, of Durango, Colo., passed away June 20, 2011.

Known as “Roy,” he was born to Lee and Annie Crow on August 16, 1925, in Sulfur, Okla. He grew up in Cortez, Colo., and graduated from Cortez High School.

He served as a signalman in the Navy during World War II, crossing the Pacific Ocean five times.

On September 1, 1948, he married Julia L. “Judy” Lancaster in Pleasant View, Colo.

He attended Fort Lewis College at the Old Hesperus Campus and the University of Kansas, graduating with a degree in business and mechanical engineering.

Roy worked for Union Carbide Mining and Metals Division in Rifle, Colo., Slick Rock, Colo., and Craig, Colo., Casper, Wyo., Tuxedo Park, N.Y., and King City, Calif.

He began his real estate career in Durango, Colo., in 1971 and was involved in that field until his retirement in 2004. He was active in and served as president of the La Plata County Board of Realtors, now the Durango Area Association of Realtors.

He was president of the PTA and worked with Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts and the Chamber of Commerce in King City. Mr. Crow was active in the Durango Chamber of Commerce.

He received a Distinguished Service Award for his involvement on the Fort Lewis College Foundation Board for 12 years. Roy was active in Rotary. He was a past president of the Rotary Club of Durango, Colo., and the gazebo in Rotary Park was built during his tenure. He also served as district governor in 1984.

The Crows were passionate about archaeology, conserving and donating two ancestral Puebloan sites on their farm. Roy was responsible for the preservation of 160 acres dedicated to the New Mexico Archaeological Conservancy. He and his wife donated all of the artifacts from the Puzzle House ancestral Puebloan site to FLC.

He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Julia “Judy” L. Crow, of Durango, Colo.; children Mary Dunlap of Durango, Colo., and Glenn LaRoy Crow of Arvada, Colo.; brother Lawrence Crow of Spokane, Wash.; eight grandchildren; and 21 great-grandchildren.

Memorial services were held June 24, 2011, at First United Methodist Church of Durango, Colo.

Burial was at Sylvan Cemetery in Pleasant View.

Memorial contributions may be sent to the Southwest Safehouse, P.O. Box 2107, Durango, Colo., 81302; or Hospice of Mercy, 1 Mercado St., Suite 270, Durango, Colo., 81301.

Laroy F. Crow, 85, of Durango, Colo., passed away June 20, 2011.

Known as “Roy,” he was born to Lee and Annie Crow on August 16, 1925, in Sulfur, Okla. He grew up in Cortez, Colo., and graduated from Cortez High School.

He served as a signalman in the Navy during World War II, crossing the Pacific Ocean five times.

On September 1, 1948, he married Julia L. “Judy” Lancaster in Pleasant View, Colo.

He attended Fort Lewis College at the Old Hesperus Campus and the University of Kansas, graduating with a degree in business and mechanical engineering.

Roy worked for Union Carbide Mining and Metals Division in Rifle, Colo., Slick Rock, Colo., and Craig, Colo., Casper, Wyo., Tuxedo Park, N.Y., and King City, Calif.

He began his real estate career in Durango, Colo., in 1971 and was involved in that field until his retirement in 2004. He was active in and served as president of the La Plata County Board of Realtors, now the Durango Area Association of Realtors.

He was president of the PTA and worked with Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts and the Chamber of Commerce in King City. Mr. Crow was active in the Durango Chamber of Commerce.

He received a Distinguished Service Award for his involvement on the Fort Lewis College Foundation Board for 12 years. Roy was active in Rotary. He was a past president of the Rotary Club of Durango, Colo., and the gazebo in Rotary Park was built during his tenure. He also served as district governor in 1984.

The Crows were passionate about archaeology, conserving and donating two ancestral Puebloan sites on their farm. Roy was responsible for the preservation of 160 acres dedicated to the New Mexico Archaeological Conservancy. He and his wife donated all of the artifacts from the Puzzle House ancestral Puebloan site to FLC.

He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Julia “Judy” L. Crow, of Durango, Colo.; children Mary Dunlap of Durango, Colo., and Glenn LaRoy Crow of Arvada, Colo.; brother Lawrence Crow of Spokane, Wash.; eight grandchildren; and 21 great-grandchildren.

Memorial services were held June 24, 2011, at First United Methodist Church of Durango, Colo.

Burial was at Sylvan Cemetery in Pleasant View.

Memorial contributions may be sent to the Southwest Safehouse, P.O. Box 2107, Durango, Colo., 81302; or Hospice of Mercy, 1 Mercado St., Suite 270, Durango, Colo., 81301.