Wyoming Cowboy Hall of Fame announces 49 honorees
The Wyoming Cowboy Hall of Fame Board of Directors gathered at Parkway Plaza in Casper for a working session of annual business meetings May 14-15. Many tasks were addressed, including selection of new branded merchandise featuring the WCHOF logo, and detailed planning for the organization’s third annual Honoree Induction ceremony and festivities.
The group’s most important and difficult order of business was finalizing the list of forty-nine men and four women to be inducted this year.
Here are the names of WCHOF’s Class of 2016 Honorees, listed by their geographic region and county.
• Region 1: CAMPBELL – Max Burch and John H. “Jack” Simpson; CROOK – Charles “Chipper” Chatfield, Ernest Leitner, and Robert “Bob” Brislawn; WESTON – Cherry Jones & Christy Knut Smith.
• Region 2: GOSHEN – Jelmer Edward Johnson, Frank & Earnest Johnson, and John & Juanita “Neats” Sussex; NIOBRARA – Luther Lurton “Lute” Penfield and Robert Bertram “Bob” Dixon.
• Region 3: ALBANY – Murl Jay Robbins; LARAMIE – Merrill Farthing, James “Jim” Nelson and Walter “Spud” Murphy.
• Region 4: NATRONA – Stanford “Stan” Sanford, James H. “Jim” Cheney, and William C. “Bill” Brewer; CONVERSE – Roscoe Newton “Peach” Shaw and Frank Benjamin “Wild Horse” Robbins.
• Region 5: JOHNSON – Alex “Junior” Johnstone, Jr., Robert Lester “Bob Leath, and John C. “Johnny” Streeter; SHERIDAN – Eugene (Gene) “Curly” Williams and Jack Reisch.
• Region 6: BIG HORN – James John “Jim” Ogg and Mary Frances Tisdale “Mike” Hinckley. PARK – Thomas Anthony “Tuff” Renner, John “Jay” Moody, and Randall “Randy” Kruger. WASHAKIE – Carl Schweighart and John W. “Johnny” Greet.
• Region 7: CARBON – John S. “Jack” Runner, John “Swede” Ellis” and Charles A. “Chuck” Sanger; SWEETWATER – John “Big John” Keller and Calvin Dee Potter, Sr.
• Region 8: HOT SPRINGS – Dub McQueen, Leondro “Lee” Martinez, Ralph Joseph “Joe” Campbell; FREMONT – James “Jim” Stoll and Willis “Bill” Ruby.
• Region 9: UINTA – Eugene Hickey and Rob Roy McGregor Hamilton
• Region 10: SUBLETTE – Robert “Bert” Harvey, Ira & Edna McWilliams and Norm Richie; TETON – Walter “Walt” Feuz and Robert “Bob” DeVeny.
Successful candidates and their nominators have been informed electronically, and necessary details and information will be sent to all well in advance of the state induction events in September. Updates and new information will also be available on the website, http://www.wyomingcowboyhalloffame.com and new items are regularly posted on the WCHOF Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wyomingcowboyhalloffame.
The Casper community plans to welcome Wyoming’s cowboy and cowgirl population with a gala shindig Sept. 24 at Parkway Plaza. The local committee will host a festive Mix & Mingle featuring hors d’oeuvre, cash bar, door prizes, silent auction and music for listening and dancing enjoyment. While meeting and rubbing elbows with the honored Class of 2016 and many past honorees, the crowd can pick up their Induction Ceremony tickets and shop for branded products, commemorative Induction posters and booklets, as well as taking advantage of the gathering to obtain commemorative group photos.
The 2016 State Induction ceremonies will be held at the Casper Events Center, on Sunday, Sept. 25. The venue will open to visitors at 9 a.m. and detailed information will be provided in future news releases. ❖