Marlene Maurer, Lakewood, Colo.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 1/2 c. chopped peeled Pink Lady apple
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cardamon
- 3 1/2 c. chopped peeled parsnip (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 c. fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. apple cider
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tsp. creme fraiche
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stiring frequently.
Add apple and the next 4 ingredients (through garlic).
Cook one minute, stirring constantly.
Add parsnip, chicken broth and apple cider; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until parsnip is tender.
Place half of parsnip mixture in a blender.
Remove center piece of blender lid to allow steam to escape.
Secure lid on blender and place a clean towel over opening in blender lid.
Blend until smooth and pour into a large bowl.
Repeat the procedure with the remaining parsnip mixture.
Stir in salt and pepper.